Sunday, January 27, 2013

11. Moon Pies

Yum Yum Yum

As soon as I saw Rex's video I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Anyone that knows me well knows I love to cook, any excuse to experiment and make something new. So after watching Rex's video I really wanted to make a Moon Pie.

 I've attached a short video from Greyson Explains youtube channel who explains amazingly well what a Moon Pie is:





The Biscuit

The biscuits used are graham crackers the UK equivalent would probably be something like a digestive biscuit. I've tried a couple of recipes but couldn't find a perfect one so this is a collaboration of about six different recipes.

Ingredients you will need:
- 380g Plan White Flour
- 180g Dark Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 4g Salt
- 115g Honey
- 2tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 5tbsp Milk
- 2 bags of Marshmallows (white)
- 2 bars of Dark Chocolate 



Making the dough:

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. 

Mix together the flour, brown sugar, bicarb & salt in a bowl (If your're lucky and have a mixer feel free) Mix all the ingredients together well. Whilst that is mixing, whisk together the honey, milk and vanilla extract. Then mix together.

When all the ingredients are mixed together, Lay out some cling film and cover lightly with flour, place the ball of dough in the fridge for approximately 2 hours as it's quite a sticky dough.

Once thats done flour your worktop and roll out the dough with a depth of 1cm. Then use a round cookie cutter  and cut out your biscuits.



I then sprinkled caster sugar mixed with cinnamon on top and baked for 20-25mins.


The Marshmallow

Once my biscuits had cooled, I then needed to create the marshmallow filling. I attempted to make my own marshmallow but sadly this ended in what I can only describe as the marshmallow man from ghostbusters coming out my microwave. 

The easier alternative is to buy some marshmallows and put them in the microwave for 15 seconds. This then goes into a piping bag and spread across the biscuits which are then joined. 



The Final Result

Once this is done melt the chocolate over some boiling water and dip the biscuits in and then let set in the fridge or if your impatient like me the freezer.


And finally a quote
"A cake is a very good test of an oven: if it browns too much on one side and not on the other, it's not your fault - you need to have your oven checked"
          Delia Smith

3 comments:

  1. This was fun and I'm really enjoying the whole blog concept but we have to do something about Craig's grammar and spelling! :-)
    Over = Oven
    Its = it's (an abbbbreviation of "it is")
    And it should be "If you're lucky" - again, an abbreviation of "you are"
    I know it's picky but it drives me bonkers...sorry!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed Lesley, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't notice was too busy drooling, Craig when are you free ? xx

    ReplyDelete